Lynwood welcome VetsNow and 24/7 Emergency Care to Wimborne!

We are very pleased to announce the arrival of a 24/7 emergency service to our Wimborne Clinic. This is a great step forward in providing all our patients with the best possible care available in general practice, whatever time of the day or night. The benefits include:

  • Full team of specially trained critical care vets and nurses available at all times of the day and night
  • Excellent patient care in our totally refurbished, clean, well equipped and modern practice in Wimborne with good road links to the A31 and the rest of the area
  • Just call your normal daytime vet's phone number and you will get put straight through to an 'animal 999' emergency answering service who are highly trained and knowledgeable of the local area and will give you the best advice for your concern.
  • The support of the Vets Now specialists and backup staff as national leaders in emergency care
  • Access to your pet's medical records for excellent continuity of care 

For clients of Lynwood in Wimborne and the surrounding area there are further benefits:

  • No ambulance transfer of in-patients necessary to a distant clinic at the start and end of the working day
  • The first local clinic to offer an out of hours service on site for more than ten years

For more information you can read about Vets Now on their website, and read about our Out Of Hours care journey here.

2016 - Exciting times at our Wimborne branch! Learn all about our Wimborne renovation here!

Lynwood Calendar 2017 calendar.jpg

We are pleased to announce that the Lynwood Calendar for 2017 is now on sale for just £5.99!

All proceeds from the competition and sales will be donated to our chosen charity... Caring Canines(

Thank you to all who took part!








Lynwood Calendar Competition Winners - To feature in our Lynwood 2017 Calendar!

Thank you to all that entered, the judge had some very hard decisions to make!

We have raised a whopping £103 from all your entries.

Proceeds from the Calendar competition AND sales of the 2017 Lynwood Calendar will be donated to Caring Canines, our chosen charity for this year.

The calendar will go on sale soon!!!     



Photo 1 - Poppy on the beach

Photo 2 - One of the family

Photo 3 - Surveying my territory

Photo 4 - Exhausted mutts

Photo 5 - Just hovering

Photo 6 - Nosy piggies

Photo 7 - Mia yawning

Photo 8 - Keeping cool

Photo 9 - Family playtime

Photo 10 - Maisie mid scratch

Photo 11 - Signet ring

Photo 12 - Where is my share






Claire's Big Heart Bike Ride - June 2016

You may have seen posts on Facebook and posters in our waiting rooms of our Ambulance Driver/Animal Care Assistant Claire, who set herself the challenge of raising funds for a charity that is close to her heart and cycling through rural Tanzania...135090761015407544407526649230172894455754n.jpg

The challenge is now complete and here is her incredible story that she wanted to share with you all...

'On Fathers Day (19th June 2016), I started my Big Heart 402km bike ride through rural Tanzania to raise funds for the British Heart Foundation, in memory of my dad who died of a heart attack 13yrs ago at the age of 49.

We were a group of 29 cyclist with an incredible support team, that assisted us each day, with food, drinks, cheers, laughter and songs along the way.

Day 1: We started off at Moshi, at the shadow of Mt Kilamanjaro, cycling through sandy terrain which included a 13km ascent to our camp - Olopopongi Maasai Village, we sat around the camp fire and joined in jumping with the Maasai Tribe.

Day 2: From Olopopongi Maasai Village we cycled 58miles between Mt Kilamanjaro and Mt Meru, this was not an easy ride, taking us 20 miles off road over rocky road and sand. We were lucky enough to see giraffes that came running in front of us. The locals didn't seem to take note of the traffic lights, so for the last 5 miles into Arusha we had a police escort as it was a busy city centre.

13501891101543218321664573303743128764482415n.jpgDay 3: We set off for 61miles out of the hustle and bustle of Arusha to Zion Campsite, near Tarangire National Park. This ride had beautiful scenery, rolling and endless grasslands, endless small villages, with children running to the roads wishing us well and good luck. I spotted an elephant in the bushes enjoying his breakfast, beautiful creature. We stopped off for lunch at Mtimmoja Primary School where we presented them with pens/pencils/books/footballs that we all brought to donate to them. They were so happy and grateful to recieve the gifts from us.135109131015409316832526639753336281770075n.jpg

Day 4: From Tarangire National Park, we cycled 51 miles on a nice flat fast pace for the 1st stretch entering deeper into the Rift Valley to Manyara National Park. It was like a scene from Avatar, the scenery was incredible. we were greeted on our break by some children who were playing football with a makeshift ball out of paper and tape, we had a football in our support bus, which we handed over to them and enjoyed a kick around with them and teaching them the 'Hokey Cokey'. The smiles on those children's faces certainly put things into perspective about what little they actually have, but still loving life, no matter what poverty they are in.
We crossed 2 rivers and ended up at a school where we donated stationary, giving each child 2 pencils- the look of fulfillness was very humbling to witness and be part of. We were lucky to see monkeys, wilder beast and zebras.

Day 5: This is our last day, although a shorter ride, it is the most challenging day, cycling over 4000ft. It was my personal favourite, although the other days had inclines, this was the one I was most looking forward to, to see how my competitive streak and endurance was going to cope with the last day of the challenge.

13516406101540932022652665797953715975186444n.jpgThe lead support rider 'Edward' was my buddy for this ride, I was wearing the 'yellow shirt' for the 3rd day and my competiveness certainly kicked in by not letting my other front runner 'Andy' pass in front of me.
We kept each other going to the last stop off, so we could all regroup for the last 500m of the ride.

The Support team were singing, dancing and congratulating the 29 bonded group across the finishing 13516674101540931601852663722788564465665440n.jpgline at the gates of the Ngorongoro Crater National Park.
It was an absolutely incredible and emotional adventure. The feeling of self achievement in that I cycled the whole way, enjoyed every part of the ride, jumping with the Maasai tribe, meeting the kids on route, visiting the schools, seeing the animals in there natural habitat without being harmed, spectacular scenery, sights that I witnessed and the best thing was doing it with a great bunch of people who had there own reasons/battles for completing the ride!!

After the bike ride I stayed on with 5 others from the bike ride to do a 4 day safari in Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater. We camped at Katikati in the Serengeti, surrounded by hyenas, lions, buffalo, zebras that roamed round the tents. Lets just say the walk back to the tents after tea was heart stopping, especially when you could see a pack of hyenas about 10/15ft from the path, laughing in the darkness. My safety whistle was around my neck that night and I had very little sleep... but what an experience!!!13494798101540931680202666400316447629307240n.jpg

We were so lucky in what we saw, giraffes, buffalo, Thompson gazelles, leopards up a tree with a gazelle they had just killed, lions with cubs, zebras, lioness hunting a baby wilder-beast, so many elephants and their young, cheetahs, black rhino, vulchers, warthog, hippos, baboons, spider monkey, flamingos, hyenas, so many colourful birds

Thank you to all of you who sponsored me and thanks to you, I managed to raise just over £1750.00 for the British Heart Foundation and as a combined group cycling 402km, we raised £61,635 for our chosen charities.

You can still sponsor me:



L4 Vaccine - July 2016

Recently there has been an article in some of the national newspapers regarding the L4 vaccine and possible side effects.

As a practice we try to provide the care for all our patients that we would expect for our own pets. We believe that vaccinations are really important to prevent potentially fatal diseases. We consider all the evidence when deciding on any treatment including preventative health care.

The report was inaccurate. Please see the quotes below from the World Small Animal Veterinary Association:

'The WSAVA Vaccination Guidelines Group is aware of an article published recently in the UK Daily Telegraph about canine Leptospira vaccination.

The article states that WSAVA is urging owners not to use Nobivac L4 vaccine on puppies under 12 weeks old.

This statement is blatantly untrue. The WSAVA would never urge owners and would never make recommendations about individual named commercial products.

The current 2015 WSAVA guidelines provide veterinarians with evidence-based scientific recommendations on vaccination.

The current 2015 WSAVA recommendation for Leptospira vaccines is that when these non-core vaccines are chosen for an individual dog (on the basis of national or regional knowledge about the prevalence and risks of leptospirosis)

On the subject of generic L2 versus L4 vaccines, the VGG states that When a Leptospira vaccine is used in high risk dogs, the commercial vaccine that contains all of the serogroups that cause disease in the dog in that region, if available, should be used.

The WSAVA guidelines are publicly available on-line and this journalist has clearly not undertaken adequate research before publishing this article.'

We have been using the MSD L4 vaccine for some time and have had no concerns regarding reactions after this vaccination reported to us. It is important that any reactions are reported to us so that we can report them to the VMD who can withdraw products if there are unacceptable side effects.

If you have any questions regarding this please give us a call on 01202 882101 (Wimborne), 01202 826956 (Verwood), 01202 555553 (Bournemouth), 01929 422213 (Swanage) or 01929 552692 (Wareham).

The Koi Carp and how he got his name, Nemo (Feb 2016)fish.jpg

This beautiful Koi carp had a slow growing tumour on the right pectoral fin. It was decided to try and remove it before it grew further into the Koi's body.

He was anaesthetised by adding drugs to fresh water, where oxygen was bubbled in continuously with a small pump. Nurses Laura Castell and Sammie Brebner monitored his breathing and movements, using a syringe to flush the water containing the anaesthetic drugs over his gills.

The surgery was performed in the water. Vet Louis Rumbold sutured the blood vessels and then removed the tumour and the fin. The operation was a success, and "Nemo" was recovered in pond water at a warmer temperature than usual.

He was upright and swimming within 2 hours of recovering, and was returned to the pond, happily swimming with his fishy friends 24 hours later.

A very interesting case for us all at the Wimborne branch!

Duncan makes a good startDuncan's Marathon Effort - 2013
Duncan has successfully completed the 2013 Virgin London Marathon
He finished the course in a magnificent time of 3:59:40.

Over 36,000 runners took part in this year's marathon, which was however tinged with sadness following the attacks near the finish at the Boston marathon on Monday. In a spirit of commemoration and brotherhood a thirty second silence was held just before the start. "It was a phenomenal moment," Duncan says, "when all the pre-race noise and excitement went quiet and thousands of athletes stood in total silence. The only sound was a bird singing in the bright, cold morning sunshine."

The race, being held for the 33rd year, passed from Greenwich, around the Cutty Sark and into South London. "There was not a single stretch of road without massive support from the crowd" he said, with an estimated 700,000 supporters attending on a gloriously sunny day. "The route was very congested and I found it hard to get into any sort of rhythm: but instead I decided to enjoy the crowd with hand waves, shouts and gesticulations to which they responded magnificently!"

At halfway the route takes a turn across the iconic Tower Bridge and into East London and Docklands, before turning back towards the city from mile 17, and leading to Westminster, the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace. "I still felt quite chirpy so managed to push on passing quite a few runners, some of whom were really struggling in the heat. If I needed an extra boost I turned to the crowd and asked for a cheer: every time they produced a wave of noise that I virtually surfed all the way to the Mall!"

"Hail the conquering hero"However at 800m from the finish Duncan realized that the time was nearing the four hour mark. "I had crossed the start line after about 10 minutes and your timing chip measures your personal time exactly, so I knew I was in with a chance but wasn't certain the exact time I had crossed the start" he says. "I took stock and felt that somehow I still had something 'in the tank'. So I put on a spurt and virtually sprinted, in ungainly fashion, to the line. I've no idea where I found the strength after 26 miles! However, it was worth it as I managed to get in just 20 seconds under four hours!

Duncan is very proud to have completed the course, one of the most famous marathons in the world, and he managed to raise nearly £2000 in aid of ARC- Antenatal Results and Choices in the process.

And next? As long as the aches and pains heal, Duncan plans to run another marathon in two weeks time! "The Neolithic Marathon runs from Avebury to Stonehenge across the historic landscape of Salisbury plain. I have wanted to run this for years, after running a half marathon along the same route. It's very hilly and all-terrain, so will feel completely different to London, which was one of the most fantastic experiences of my life".

Well done to Duncan and good luck!

Lynwood cure a broken heart!

Molly 1It has been an exciting week at the Wimborne surgery where our team has undertaken complex lifesaving heart surgery on a three year old rescue dog..

In her past life Molly was called Trixie, and she was a breeding bitch on a puppy farm. It isn't known how many litters she had, but after she outlived her usefulness she was taken in by her new owner and brought to see Frances Hunter, vet at our Verwood branch for a vaccination. .

Frances immediately recognised that she was suffering from a serious heart condition and brought her to Wimborne for an ultrasound scan with Duncan Reavell, our internal medicine guru. He diagnosed a Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA). This is caused when a foetal blood vessel fails to close off at birth, diverting blood away from the aorta and into the lungs. .

molly 2It is amazing that Molly had managed to survive and produce litters of puppies. However it was clear on the scan that her heart had started to deteriorate and she was starting to develop heart failure.

Frances explained to the owner that without surgery Molly would surely die. Unfortunately the surgery was extremely complex and usually only performed by cardiac specialist surgeons, with a cost of well over £2,000. Regrettably this was not an option, and so the outlook for Molly was looking increasingly bleak.

molly operationHowever Molly had captured our hearts at the practice, and so Frances, Duncan and Wimborne vet Louis Rumbold decided to offer the owner for us to attempt the surgery, and the practice would cover the cost. We were well aware of the massive risks with this surgery, but all understood that it was the only hope for Molly.

The surgery was performed on Wednesday 10th April. We cleared the morning operating list and made sure we were as prepared as possible for any complication. We are very grateful to Burtons for the loan of a Capnograph- an essential piece of monitoring equipment which arrived the evening before.

molly recoveringLisa, head veterinary nurse oversaw the anaesthesia whilst Frances and Louis performed the surgery. All seemed to be going well until the surgeons encountered a major bleed from the abnormal blood vessel- and Molly lost 100mls of blood within a few seconds. For a few moments Molly was teetering on the brink. Luckily Louis' quick thinking saved the day and the vessel was tied off and the operation completed.

molly feeling betterMolly recovered well in intensive care and repaid back all the effort and care lavished on her. She is now up and about and wondering what on earth all the fuss is about! Molly now has to be closely monitored and will receive ongoing heart treatment with Cardalis, provided free of charge by Ceva.We are all extremely pleased with the outcome. All credit needs to go to Frances and Louis for their fantastic skills and the ability to keep clear heads under pressure, and the dedicated nursing team led by Lisa.

Molly is a very special little dog and we are very proud of what we achieved!




Home Visits
Veterinary Nursing School
Puppy Socialisation
Pet Health Club
Latest News