Travelling abroad

Travelling abroad

Travel advice and preparation, to help you and your pet enjoy trips abroad safely and with peace of mind.

Since 1st January 2021, the requirements for travelling to the EU and Northern Ireland with your pet have changed.

Please read the following guidance carefully as there are now further conditions for travel, and we would strongly advise that you check the  government guidance regularly as it is subject to change:

Most importantly, Pet Passports issued in Great Britain are no longer valid for travel.

Domestic dogs, cats (not F1 hybrid Savannah or Bengal) and ferrets can still travel to the EU and for this your pet will need:

  • A microchip

  • A valid rabies vaccination - your pet needs to be older than 12 weeks old to have this vaccination and you will need to wait 21 days after any primary vaccinations before travel

  • An animal health certificate (AHC) issued by a vet or a valid EU member state pet passport

  • Tapeworm treatment for dogs travelling to Northern Ireland, Ireland, Finland, Norway, or Malta

Unfortunately, vets in Britain are now unable to certify rabies vaccinations in EU member state pet passports. Therefore if the vaccinations lapse, your pet will need an AHC to travel.

AHCs can be issued up to 10 days before travel to the EU or Northern Ireland. They can be issued for up to five pets as long as they are travelling for non-commercial purposes.

The AHC is valid for four months for re-entry into Great Britain and/or onward travel in the EU, or until the rabies vaccination expires – whichever is sooner.

Your pet will need a new AHC for each trip to the EU or Northern Ireland from Great Britain.

To allow one of our vets to issue your pet with an AHC we need:

  • Proof of microchip such as a pet passport, a vaccination certificate or a microchip certificate

  • Proof of rabies vaccination such as a pet passport or vaccination certificate

  • The intended country of entry to the EU

  • The owner’s details or the person authorised in writing by the owner

It is the owner’s responsibility to supply this documentation and information. Without it we will be unable to issue the certificate.

The person travelling with the pets should attend the appointment in person as they are required to sign a declaration prior to the AHC being issued.

Please contact our team for more information.